Tuesday, September 26

Ahhhh Sevilla

I really am enjoying Sevilla. Today I met up with a woman I had met on the bus to sevilla, she was going to go to a the Alcazar a large muslim palace that was later turned into a palace for Pedro I of castille. Known as either Pedro the Cruel or Pedro the Just depending on which side you were on.

When I got there this morning I realized they have night tours so I decided to do that instead, I had wanted to do a night tour of the Alahambra and hadn´t been able to, so I thought it might help the two palaces stand out in my memory. So in leiu of the Alcazar, Alicia and I went in search of a cafe and ended up at the plaza de Espana built here for the worlds fair. It´s a very dramatic and beautiful plaza if, a bit "over the top". There are tiles for all of the provices in spain complete with maps of where they are located. It was quite beautiful. After that, we had a tapas lunch and set out in search of the Museo de Bella Artes, a fine arts museum that showcases the paintings that were produced here during sevilles golden years of the late 1600s and early 1700s. It was really impressive and there were some dramatic paintings. It´s apparent they were petrified of pergatory. All in all it was like a 2 hour trip (and air conditioned) and quite enjoyable. I would recommend it to any of you travelers reading this who are headed to Seville (entrance is 1.50 euro). So that was today thus far. My entrance to the Alcazar is at 8 tonight. I´m looking forward to seeing how the architecture is transformed in the evening light.

I´ve really been enjoying Seville and my hostel here in Triana. I´ve learned that triana was the historical "gypsy district" of seville outside the city (it´s on the west bank of the river). And it is the birthplace of flamenco, of course today it is a gentried neighborhood with lots of tapas bars and restaurants along the river. The river here has been a pleasant surprise, I wasn´t aware it would have such a presence in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home