Saturday, September 16

Granada! Granada!

Well, things are looking up.

After I posted yesterday, I went in search of the hostel that had been recommended to me by Eric R and Becky, thinking if I could show up begging perhaps they could get me a room soon. I was wandering around looking for it, in completely the wrong section of town, when a spanish man stopped to ask ME for directions. (Eric, I guess your tips on how to look european have paid off as this has happened quite often). Anyhow, I was explaining that I did not speak spanish and was looking for the Oasis Hostel when a woman poked her head out of the window above and said that she worked at the oasis and was going to work in about two minutes so she would take me there. Providence! Once there I managed to book myself a bed for three nights (sunday, monday and tuesday). It seems like a very friendly place, (and cheap, 15 euro/night) I´m hoping to maybe stay longer.

So things were looking up but I still did not have a place to sleep tonight. After some useless searching I returned to my hotel and begged them to please see if they could find me a place for one more night. They obliged and managed to let me stay there another night if I would switch rooms. I think they could see my desperation and took pity on me. It was awesome and this hotel has become a favorite. Hotel Carlos V, if you are ever in granada book a night there, it is one of the most fashionable hotels I have stayed at with a deck overlooking the town and vino tinto for 1.50 euro/glass. Did I mention it is 50 euro a night, not bad! Easily a three or four star place.

Well, I awoke this morning refreshed and able to go out siteseeing for the first time since arriving in spain. Today, I discovered spain, and the beauty of seista time. The entire town shuts down from 1:30 - 4:00 and everyone goes to a cafe or plaza to sit or eat, even the dogs were napping (I have a great picture of this which I will hopefully post later). It was a great time to explore the streets of the town. This town is very beautiful and once I got rid of my map and allowed myself to get lost in it I found it was easier to find my way by relying on my own sense of direction.

So, granada has won a place in my heart and I am thinking it may be a good place to stay for a while until I feel like venturing back out into the unknown, which right now, I do not think will be soon but we shall see. Its nice to be able to relax and enjoy the cafes and plazas without worrying about where to stay and how to get there.

Two other observations....

This seems to be a popular tourist destination for germans (cafes sell bocodillo frankfurt) and the urban mullet is very popular here, I´m not sure whether or not there is a connection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home