Sunday, September 17

An Oasis

Well, I´ve found an oasis, literally.

It´s a hostel here in Granada (thank you Eric and Becky for cluing me into it!). It´s quite a nice place very friendly with lots of activities etc. I think the backpacking scene will be a welcome relief from isolation for a couple of days. Also a relief is that I have met another american girl traveling alone in Spain (from Sacramento). So we were able to hang out today and swap travel stories etc. (Did I mention she was fluent in Spanish?!) She is probably only here for a day or two but it is a much needed friend and we seem to have similar traveling styles.

Today the two of us headed out through the islamic quarter here in town, Albaicin and climbed up into the hills where I saw my first spanish neighborhoods. Its just as you imagine, with whitewashed houses with mosaic tiles and laundry and lots of cats, most missing an eye or an ear unless they are young. We managed to find a little cafe that sold cervesa and sangria and we sat there to have a sangria. The owner brought us out a tapas of a chorizo type sandwich which was fantastic. The icing on the cake is that we were on a shady park bench with a full 180 degree view of the Alahambra and the town of granada below. It was devine. Spain is growing on me more and more If I can keep on top of my accomodations I think I will like traveling here a lot.

I am staying in Granada at the Oasis for sure until Friday, after that they are booked so I will have to see if I want to find another place here or move on (the weekends seem to be tough for accomodations). I would like to explore the Alpujares if I am feeling more adventurous later on. Getting out of Madrid and to more peaceful surroundings has been wonderful though. Madrid was just too overwhelming for me right when I got here`. Hopefully when I return and am more travel savvy/fluent in spanish I will enjoy it more.

Tomorrow Erica (my new friend) and I are going to visit the Alahambra which I am very excited about. Tonight I will join up with the free tapas tour offered by my hostel. I finally feel as though my vacation has started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home