Sunday, September 24

More Tarifa, Jerez, and Arcos

Well, I apologize for leaving you all hanging with my latest blog entry. As you could guess I am having the realization that I don´t enjoy solo traveling as much as I thought I would. I really miss having people with me to share my experiences. But on the bright side I have learned how to overcome some of the language barriers, I have gotten very good at sign language, and have learned that getting my bus tickets is much easier if I write everything out (the day, the time and where the bus is from and to) and just hand it to the person on the other side of the window. So far it has been working. So I am managing better and my spirits are higher. I note that the people in Jerez and Arcos have been much friendlier and tolerant of my poor spanish than at previous cities.

Tarifa redeemed itself a bit after I posted, I managed to find a nice promenade with views to Morrocco and sat there for a bit. After a while cats started emerging from everywhere, dozens of cats started coming from all directions, before long I saw an old spanish man headed down the hill towards the promenade carrying several cartons of milk. You could tell he did this everyday and the cats knew just where to find him! Especially amusing was watching how angry he got at the gulls who got in his way.

Yesterday I traveled from Tarifa to Jerez. The town of Jerez is known for its sherry bodegas and they serve sherry to tourists on the street. I tried it, and unfortunately for me I don´t think I like sherry. The city has impressed me with a number of large public sculptures, most with religious themes. It seems to be a very religious city and I have landed smack dab in the middle of some sort of festival. There were fireworks and partying in the street last night as I witnessed with the copious amounts of confettii in the street this morning. Just now I stumbled across some sort of procession with a band at the front and the back and what looked like the elders of the church all lined up by family in a large procession that ended with a statue of some saint (she was black with several children at her feet) throungs of people were joining in to follow her. I am not sure what the occasion is but I have gathered that it might have something to do with it being the day of the city´s patron saint. I´m going to try to figure it out at my hotel tonight.

Today I got brave and attempted my first "day trip" on the buses to a small town near hear. Arcos de la Fronterra. It is one of the town dubbed the "white hill" towns and it was stereotypical spain at its best. Situated on a hilltop with cliffs dropping off on all sides and a castle at the top the rest of the buildings were white washed with geraniums in the windows and old women sweeping their doorsteps. I stopped at a cafe for a glass of vino blanco and it was the best I´ve had since arriving in spain. It came with a large supply of olives and cost me 1.50 euro (less than $2) You certainly can´t beat the cost of food and drink in spain.

Tomorrow I head to Seville where I will stay in another backpackers. I am giving myself until tuesday to how much longer I am staying and where I am going. I am thinking Lisbon for a bit, but nothing seems definite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home