Monday, November 6

Preparations to Leave España

I haven't been doing too much the past few days. I attempted a day trip to Toledo on Saturday and Toledo was definitely a very beautiful town but I realized I am at capacity in terms of site seeing. I've had my fill of cathedrals, monestaries, quaint cobbled streets and pictures of christ on the cross. And so I feel like I don't want to do anything and yet feel like I have to do everything because it is the last few days I have in spain. Still, after toledo I decided I wouldn't get enough out of a day trip to Segovia so I decided to save that until next time. Instead, I've been hanging out at the amazing museums here (the Thyssen is incredible!), shopping, and soaking up whatever spain I can in the last few days.

It's hard for me to fully realize that I will be leaving spain the day after tomorrow. As it approaches, I find myself getting oddly sentimental about even the things I find weird and somewhat uncomfortable with spain (such as the fact that appears to be socially acceptable for old men to unzip and pee on the street when the need arises). And I keep spending and spending and spending, trying to figure out what souveniers I can take home to friends and family to help share this experience with them. But in reality I realize that at the end of this time this experience will have been mine alone and no one will really be able to know spain in exactly the same way I have. And I like that, but it also saddens me a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home