Monday, October 23

A pilgrimage

So I am in Santiago de Compostella, the ending point for the Camino de Santiago. A pilgrimage walk that goes from France to Santiago. I feel like I had a pilgrimage of my own getting here. It was a 12 hour train ride from San Sebastian. The countryside was gorgeous but the train ride was long.

Galicia is equally beautiful to the basque region and reminds me a lot of what I would imagine of ireland and what I´ve seen of scottland and new zealand. Very green hills and rainy. It´s very seattle weather, I think I am in training for me return.

On the train ride I was plotting returning to spain to travel via car from San Sebastian to Santiago once I am fluent in spanish. This region could definitely use a bit more of my time.

Santiago itself is very different than other spanish towns I´ve seen (probably due to the rain), there are not many outdoor cafes, more pub type restaurants in old stone buildings.

The specialty here is pulpa de gallega (boiled octopus) and all of the restaurants have live lobsters and large octopus in the windows. I am hoping to find someone to be adventurous with me and try it, I don´t think I can eat a whole octopus myself.

There is a large cathedral here and that´s where I am headed now. Supposedly I need to knock my head three times on the statue of Santiago and stick my fingers in the holes above hercules head. I may wait to see if other people do it first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home