Thursday, October 5

Sintra

On my last day here in Lisbon I took a day trip to a small town near here called Sintra. It's a very beautiful town up in the hills near the coast. The town itself was really beautiful but mobbed with tour groups. Up in the hills though there were the ruins of a moorish castle which was quite nice. lots of peaceful woods and you could walk around the perimeter castle walls and there were outstanding views out to the atlantic and south. The town is not far from Cabo de Roca which is the most western point of Europe. Unfortuately I did not have enough time today to make it out there.

Also in the hills is the Palacio de Pena. A monestary that was converted to a palace in the 1800s and used until 1910. It was surprisingly cool with lavish decorations and furniture including one room which nothing but painted porcelin furniture.

The surrounding parks were really nice. It felt like I was out of the city and I've been missing nature. It's been a bit disappointing to me on this trip that I have found it so difficult to get out to the national parks that are around. There isn't good bus service and frankly, I just haven't been brave enough to attempt a trip where I might end up stranded.

If I make it back to lisbon I'd like to spend more time in the grounds of the palace and around the castello do moures. It's the type of place I'd like to lose myself in for a day or two.

Tonight I am taking the night train to Madrid. Hopefully all will go smoothly as the guy who sold me the ticket didn't speak english and so we were relying on sign language.

I'll check in once I am in Madrid. Uncle Pood, I'm going to try to find your old house tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home